1) Possess artistic talent. Failing that, ensure that your lyrics are extremely offensive, blasphemous, and/or painfully sappy.
2) Have bizarre hair. Afros, corn rows, mullets, and mohawks are all perfectly acceptable, if dyed the right color.
3) Only wear clothes that “normal” people would be ashamed to receive as gifts.
4) Make plenty of personal political statements in your music, because that’s what your fans want to hear.
5) Become a vegetarian. Better yet, become a vegan.
6) Donate to charity. Better yet, create your own charity. Make sure it’s for something useless though, like “empowering teen girls.”
7) Don’t write your own songs. It’s much easier to steal from someone else or have someone with skill write your music for you.
Following these rules will assure you of far more success than you would have achieved otherwise.